Saturday, November 08, 2008

training in Arkansas...

Today I went to concealed and carry class. Yes, I want to be a full-fledged gun-toting Republican.

So, I paid my $50 to an instructor and it was worth every penny. We must have had the coolest instructor on the planet. Only he could make gun law so interesting! Arkansas appears to be a great state to get your permit in as it is reciprocal in 17 states. We'll see what happens with the new regime in Washington - I digress. We also have a very loose law when it comes to shooting someone on your property. They don't have to be in your house, just trying to enter it illegally.

Anyway it ended with time on the range. "range" is a term used loosely in Arkansas to refer to "someone's land that doesn't mind us shooting there." So we pulled up and the first thing the instructor told us was that the horses ate the targets. Seriously, they did. They ate the cardboard backing off of the targets, so we were just shooting through paper. The horses came right up to us and hung out as part of the crowd. We were told they would move when the shooting started. They didn't. A round later, the instructor had successfully herded them and then they moved behind the targets. So the instructor's paduan had to chase them away - way, far away. they watched us from a distance.

Nick has a new handgun that I didn't shoot until class. I still did a good job and the instructor signed off on my training! :) Now, my packet is ready to send off with $144.25 payable to the State Police. Woo hoo!!! :) Maybe Santa will bring me pink hearing protection!

1 comment: