Friday, July 25, 2008

Is this what you wanted to do "when I grow up" ???

I read The Last Lecture within the last month. It was a great read.

His thoughts on time management resonated with me. I will paraphrase:
- Complaining is not a strategy
- we all have finite time
- the time spent whining could be used for more productive activities

Growing up, I remember wanting to be:
- an astronaut - until the Space Shuttle blew up
- a veterinarian - until I had career day and watched Dr. Heisey declaw a kitten
- a psychiatrist - even joined the medical careers club, where I met Tiff - and decided I would take the world's problems home with me
- a financial planner working with my mom - we all know how that ended up

I also wanted a big fluffy wedding dress - check!
6 kids and a Land Rover - I have 3 boys and an Acura RDX. I can't imagine having more children, I always say God Bless her at Mass each week when the families with 6 kids are there.

so hear I am, managing really smart programmers for the big W and I really love it. some days it seems like all of my career dreams rolled into one...
- astronaut - sometimes software blows up; sometimes i think people are from another planet
- veterinarian - I like to throw the customer a bone once and awhile
- psychiatrist - working with crazy customers involves a lot of psych skills; i hear you, you sound frustrated... ; how do you feel about ___?
- financial planner - ever do a budget in corporate America?

Now, I want to be a superhero when I grow up, or a hermit.

No comments:

Post a Comment