Tuesday, August 19, 2008

The Big Squeeze

girls only... boys consider yourself warned...

So a few weeks ago my dr. said I needed to go for a mammogram as I am now 35 and have a grandmother who died of it. OK. So, my BFF, Rach, takes me over to "the Breast Center" (we are so freakin' creative in AR). We laughed at the paperwork - it had pictures of boobs on it and you are supposed to mark your area of concern. They do a few scans, I wince, they send me on my way.

Then they called - not good, I was hoping for a letter - they called me at work to schedule additional scans due to something suspicious that is probably nothing but they want to be sure. Oh great. So I schedule on Rache's cally and we are all set to go. I mentioned it to Nick. He begins to freak out. I am dying. I told him it wasn't that bad - probably nothing. He didn't believe me. So, I agreed to let him take me to the appt. Rache stayed at work and probably had the best planning meeting ever. or not.

Meanwhile, I get a letter from the insurance company that said - I will paraphrase - "we're too cheap to pay, so you're out $200 - a hah hah hah"

Now to today, we get up and head down to "the Breast Center" in Fayetteville... like they need 2 locations with the same witty name? Seriously. Anyway, I digress. So, I follow the tech to the back and put on my pink half cape. Then she takes me to the room. So she proceeds - two scans that hurt so much I almost wet my pants. Apparently this "thing" is actually under my arm on the side... of course... nothing easy to get to. Then she said "now for the real torture" - my eyes bugged out of my head and she inflicted more pain than I could have imagined. Then I had to get an ultrasound and they confirmed it's nothing. Phew! Normal - come back when you're 40 nothin'. So, I got up, sent a text message to Nick and Rache and got dressed.

Then to check out, where they demanded $400 because my employer only pays $60 for a mammogram and apparently it will be many phone calls to get that. I handed over the Discovercard and went to retrieve my very happy husband from the waiting room.

Now I am bruised and in pain, but thankful it was just a stupid lymph node!

So... girlfriends... make sure you're getting your yearly breast exam... you never know!!!
xoxo

1 comment:

  1. well that is great news indeed! i've been putting off my first mamo .. got the script for it last year and just totally didn't schedule it (and i'll be 37 in 4 months!!).
    happy to hear that everything is clear, insurance excluded (f'ers!).

    ReplyDelete