Wednesday, September 10, 2008

What Corporate America could learn from the 4th grade

Sometimes I sit at work and think, there has to be a better way.

Yesterday, my 9yo needed me to sign his agenda because he "had to write his name in the book" - after some inquiry, he shoved someone in the hall - not to be mean, but just like kids do. He was concerned. I told him it was no big deal if it doesn't happen too often. My parting words of wisdom were "if there were 'a book' at work, my name would be in it."

How true is that? Imagine if you could be given just a skeech of latitude now and again and your punishment is knowing you did it and you get to start over again without it being held against you forever.

As the queen of the poison email, I would like that. I have been trying very hard to not send poisonous emails to people who really deserve it. My new coping mechanism is to turn off my monitor or close my laptop if the urge strikes. That is usually just long enough to allow cooler thoughts to flow. I also stuck stickers to my monitor - like a flocked Sock Monkey so that I smile more when I look at my email and I can't imagine hurting the sock monkey.

In spite of my new ways, I will probably be forever known as Princess Poison Email. Wouldn't it be better if we could all admit that once and awhile we are all human and deserve a do over? 
Blogged with the Flock Browser

No comments:

Post a Comment